Home » Citizens’ Corner Protect yourself
Prevent vehicle theftEvery year, nearly 36,000 vehicles, which amount to Rs.115 crore, are stolen in India out of these, only about 14,500 are traced, often in un-roadworthy conditions, with many components missing. These vehicles are stolen only because thieves are provided with the opportunity to steal them. Very often, cars are left improperly secured and unattended. It is only with the installation of anti - theft devices that a thief's attempts can be frustrated.
Parking in a secure parking facility (garage, petrol pump, etc.) at night also safe-guards against theft. If such parking facilities are not available, parking in a well-lit area is the next best alternative.
It is advisable to get the number of your car etched on your windscreens and window glasses. It helps the authorities to trace your car if stolen.
Simple do's and don'ts :-
WHAT YOU SHOULD DO...
- Use securing devices like steering lock, clutch lock, brake lock, etc.
- Double-check all doors, including the boot
- If possible, install loud alarm systems in your car, so that thieves can be discouraged even if they manage to break into your car
- Try and use detachable music systems and take them with you whenever you park the car for a long time, so that there is no temptation for thieves to make a quick steal when they see expensive items in parked cars
- Paint your car number on the front and rear end of the body, apart from the number plates. Ideally, have it etched on the windscreens and window glasses too. This prevents them from being misused by criminals using fake number plates
WHAT YOU SHOULD NOT DO...
- Never leave the vehicle door unlocked, nor the windows partially open. Make sure that the quarter glasses are properly secured
- Do not leave valuables inside the car, even if it is locked, as this will attract thieves
- Do not overdo extra fittings, as these tempt prospective thieves
- Never leave the key dangling in the ignition
IN CASE YOUR CAR IS STOLEN...
- Report the theft to the nearest police station
- Inform your insurance company